Dr. Al-Oufi has experience in a wide variety of intellectual property, corporate and commercial legal matters both inside and outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He has advised multinational companies in a number of capacities, including investment and development of technological products, registration and protection of intellectual property, direct foreign investment, commercial contracts, as well as local and international litigation and arbitration. Dr. Al-Oufi is very familiar with the Western-style practice of law and built the foundation of his legal career in North America.
Dr. Al-Oufi serves as special counsel for the Saudi Technology Development and Investment Company (Taqnia) and its 11 subsidiaries under the direct supervision of King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST). As a member of several intellectual property global organizations, such as INTA, APPIMAF and AIPPI, he is considered a legal expert in intellectual property law including registration and protection of copyrights, trademarks and patents. Dr. Al-Oufi is also well versed in negotiating and drafting technology contracts, including Technology Transfer Agreements, Technology Support Agreements, License Agreements, Option Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, and others.
In addition, Dr. Al-Oufi has advised the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in a number of capacities, including as a legal expert on defense and military technology manufacturing and development, as a senior legal advisor to the Bureau of Experts, the Saudi Arabian Oil Company, the Saudi Arabian Mining Corporation (Ma’aden) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He also serves on the Panel of Arbitrators for the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission.
Dr. Al-Oufi has appeared before all levels of courts and semi-judicial committees in Saudi Arabia handling intellectual property, commercial and administrative litigation. In addition, he continues to serve as an arbitrator and expert witness in local and international arbitration tribunals. Dr. Al-Oufi has also participated as legal counsel and a member of the Saudi delegation representing the Saudi government at numerous international government meetings.
Dr. Al-Oufi serves as an Adjunct Professor of Law for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Saudi Institute of Public Administration. Dr. Al-Oufi has taught classes in International Arbitration and Contract Law.
- Doctorate of Law (International Economic Law), University of Ottawa Faculty of Law, Ottawa, Canada – 1988
- Diploma of International Commercial Arbitration, Quebec Center for International Commercial Arbitration, Quebec City, Canada – 1988
- LLM (Admiralty Law), Tulane University Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana – 1984
- LLM (Common Law), Tulane University Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana – 1983
- Diploma of Regulations Studies, Institute of Public Administration, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – 1978
- LLB, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia – 1976
- Saudi Arabia Bar – 1976
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission’s Panel of Arbitrators
- International Bar Association
- APPIMAF & AIPPI
- International Trademark Association (INTA)